Acana Classics Prairie Poultry
Information about the product:
Acana Prairie Poultry
This product contains 50% meat, of which 1/3 is FRESH, providing essential nutrients in their most nutritious form, while 2/3 consisting of dried meat to provide a solid, natural source of nutritious protein.
It contains 3 types of fresh meat in WholePrey indexes that include meat, organs and cartilage to provide nutrients in a complete and natural way.
- Free range chicken - meat, liver, heart, kidney and cartilage, all fresh from our local farms.
- Free range turkey - meat, liver, heart, kidney and cartilage, all fresh from our local farms.
- Nest Eggs - fresh and sourced from our local farms.
The following table provides a starting point, which will need to be adjusted as needed to maintain optimal weight and health.
|30 kg||400 g||270 g|
|40 kg||510 g||330 g|
|50 kg||600 g||390 g|
|60 kg||660 g||450 g|
|70 kg||750 g||510 g|
Dried chicken (25%), cut oats (23%), fresh chicken (5%), fresh chicken giblets (liver, heart, kidney) (5%), red lentils, whole green peas, green lentils, fresh turkey ( 4%), fresh whole egg (4%), chicken fat (4%), whole chickpeas, whole yellow peas, whole oats, herring oil (3%), sun-cured alfalfa, lentil fiber, brown seaweed, fresh zucchini, butternut squash, fresh parsnips, kale leaves, fresh spinach, fresh carrots, fresh red delicious apples, fresh barlett pears, freeze-dried chicken liver (0.1%), salt, blueberries, cranberries, chicory root, turmeric, milk thistle, burdock root, lavender, marshmallow root, rose fruit.
Food as nature intended. We call this Biologically Appropriate ™. Our food is based on the diet of the ancestors of your dog or cat. We mimic the quantity, freshness and variety of meat.
Your dog or cat naturally needs a protein-rich food with a lot of meat. The gray wolf and the African wild cat are the ancestors of our beloved pets. Years of reproduction and breeding have provided hundreds of breeds of dogs and cats, but the needs and instincts of our dogs and cats remain the same as those of their ancestors.
Like the Ancestors:
The gray wolf, Canis Lupus, is the ancestor and close relative of all dogs with 97% of the same DNA. The African wildcat, Felis Silvestris Lybia, is the close family of domestic cats.
They are real carnivores that need a lot of meat. You can recognize this by a number of external and internal characteristics in your dog and cat.
Teeth and Jaws:
- The throat hole is relatively large to swallow pieces of meat whole, and there is a single temporomandibular joint that cannot move sideways (herbivores chew carefully, but carnivores cannot chew).
- Sharp pointed teeth for grabbing and tearing meat (and not for grinding plants).
Saliva and Enzymes:
- Because meat eaters do not chew and are not set up to digest vegetable carbohydrates, digestive enzymes are lacking in their saliva.
- Plant eaters chew their food and mix it with saliva, but carnivores gobble whole chunks of meat. The sole purpose of saliva for carnivores is to moisturize the throat, not to pre-convert food.
- The saliva of herbivores contains digestive enzymes that are mixed with the food when chewed and start the digestion process of the food.
Short Digestive Channel:
- Carnivores in nature do not eat every day, and sometimes even once a week. They have a relatively large stomach so they can gobble up the meat and digest it later.
- Because animal ingredients are much more easily digested than vegetable ingredients, dogs and cats have a short and simple gastrointestinal tract (especially compared to herbivores such as cows, which have four stomachs and need to ruminate).
Five rules from nature:
Acana's nutritious dog and cat food is prepared with (fresh or raw) muscle meat, organ meat and edible bone, in large quantities and wide diversity, supplemented with low glycemic vegetables, fruits and herbs.
We prepare this on the basis of five rules from nature:
- Rich in meat and animal proteins
- More fresh meat than any other food
- A rich variety of fresh meats
- Wholeprey Proportions
- Limited proportion of carbohydrates with a low glycemic value
Rich in Meat and Animal Proteins:
Your dog or cat needs a food that is rich in meat and proteins. Just like their wild predecessors, they have sharp teeth and a short digestive tract that is specially adapted to digest meat. That is why the Acana diet consists of 75% animal ingredients - more than a regular dog or cat food. Acana is free from gluten or concentrated potato or pea proteins.
Dogs and cats need this way of nutrition to be and stay as healthy as possible. This way they get the nutrition that suits their digestion and anatomical structure.
Our region. Our Inspiration.
More fresh meat than any other food:
Half of the meat, fish, poultry and eggs in Acana's foods and snacks are fresh or raw. This way, all flavors and nutrients are preserved as much as possible to provide your dog or cat with proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals in the most nutritious form.
The raw meat is cooled quickly so that its quality is not lost and it retains the good nutrients. To maintain the quality, prepared Acana the feed in small quantities at a low temperature 90 ° c.
Fresh, raw and dried meat:
Our fresh meat comes directly from the farm in our kitchens and is then prepared within 2 days, so fresh is really fresh! Unfortunately, there are pet food manufacturers who add water to meat meal and then call it 'fresh'. We do it differently.
The animal ingredients in Acana food can be divided into three classes:
- Fresh: refrigeration is the only method we use for preserving fresh poultry and meat and fresh eggs and fish.
- Raw: just like our fresh ingredients, but in this case quickly frozen once.
- Dried: Air dried at a low temperature (90 ° C) for a concentrated protein source.
A rich variety of fresh meat:
In nature, dogs and cats have a wide choice of meats. That's why Acana food is prepared with a variety of free-range poultry, eggs, meat and wild caught fish. Because of the diversity, your pet will enjoy a different dish every day. A rich variety of meat is one of the most important spearheads in our Biologically Appropriate ™ principle.
At Acana, at least 3 types of meat are added in one diet, except for the Acana Singles. This ensures that your dog or cat has a nutritious and healthy meal with a lot of proteins and fats.
Extra vitamins or minerals are not needed in nature, because wolves and wild cats meet their nutritional needs naturally by eating prey completely.
Our diet consists of a balanced composition of fresh meat, organ meat and edible bone, so that the nutrients are supplied in a natural way. Our ingredients and the end product are therefore free of fragrances, colors, flavors, hormones, antibiotics, synthetic preservatives and other synthetic additives.
- Muscle meat provides protein, fat, vitamins a, b, d and k, copper, chromium, folic acid, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium and zinc, in a bioavailable form.
- Organ meats are a highly concentrated and very good biologically appropriate source of practically everything healthy dogs and cats need for excellent health: with many essential vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and amino acids
- Edible bone is a rich source of minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium in a natural and easily absorbed form.
Limited proportions of Carbohydrates with a low Glycemic Value:While carbohydrates are known to be a major cause of obesity and diabetes, conventional dog and cat foods often contain more than 50% carbohydrates.
Even worse, most dog and cat foods contain fast carbohydrates such as rice, potato, tapioca and starch, which are quickly absorbed into the blood. This causes a spike in blood sugar and the excess energy is stored in fat. These are important factors in the development of obesity and diabetes.
Acana foods do not contain grains, potato, tapioca or starchy ingredients, but low-glycemic fruits and vegetables such as whole squash and butternut squash, which are slowly released into the bloodstream. This keeps the blood sugar level stable and reduces the risk of fat storage.
The 'glycemic load' (GL) is calculated by multiplying the glycemic index (GI) of a carbohydrate by the amount of that carbohydrate present in the product. This creates the most reliable measure of the effect of food on the blood sugar levels of dogs and cats.
Glycemic Load = (Glycemic Index × amount of carbohydrate in grams) ÷ 100.
A GL greater than 20 is considered high. GL 11-19 is considered average and GL 3 or less is low. All Acana foods have a GL of 10 or less and help develop lean muscle tissue and prevent fat formation.